Sunday, April 22, 2007

Food Glorious Food!

I raised myself groggily from a very deep sleep, showered, and staggered off down to Sainsburys to buy cakes for afternoon tea. Then spent a couple of hours tidying the flat a bit, hard-boiling eggs for egg mayonnaise, making sandwiches, and making mint tea to be chilled in the fridge.

My friend Abdul duly arrived a few minutes after 3.00. I’m not quite sure that Abdul understood the concept of ‘an English afternoon tea’. He turned up having just had his lunch and not remotely hungry! However, I was starving so I had my tea and he got to watch me and then eat stale sandwiches a couple of hours later. (Bet he was glad he came!!)

Abdul brought along a big box of burfi, which are Indian sweets. They have an odd kind of sweet/savoury taste which I wasn’t too keen on the first time I tried them – my uncultured English palate didn’t quite know what to make of the strange taste – but I’m not one to give up on a foodstuff so I kept at it(!) and now I think they are fab. The coconut ones are the absolute best.

I did really well for food pressies today. After Abdul left I had a short rest and then mid evening I drove into London to pick Charles up from Euston Station, on his way back from visiting his parents oop north. He had a load of food his mum had given him to take home, so of course I got to have some ‘samples’ to take back to my flat after dropping him off! And that unexpected midnight meal was finished off with a good few pieces of burfi. Mmm!

No comments: