Monday, December 04, 2006

Supermarkets

Supermarkets are my downfall. I have absolutely no willpower when faced with rows and rows of food items and things to buy and, no matter how skint I am, the temptation to spend money is irresistible! My local Sainsburys is the worst. They sell clothes and pretty jewellery, and it’s all cheap enough for me to convince myself that I’m not really spending any money… so a £4 necklace goes into the basket, then a £3 pair of earings, then a nice top that’s only £15… and at the checkout I’m left wondering why my food bill has suddenly grown to family-sized proportions. Today was no exception. I was home from work with a sore throat and I decided to try and get a few useful things done. I trotted up to Tesco to see if I could find a cheap (but nice!) birthday present for Siobhan… and came out with a whole bag of shopping containing not only Siobhan’s present but two Christmas presents for god knows who, some trashy magazines and some chocolate puddings. I then drove over to Sainsburys to pick up some photos that I had dropped in for developing… and I came out with not just one but two carrier bags filled mostly with chocolate puddings and biscuits. Dear god, no wonder I’m such a heiffer! Actually, you can tell I’m not feeling so well… Queen of Puddings I may be, but I could only eat one of them before I started to feel a bit bleurgh, and so the rest are still residing in my fridge, waiting to be eaten up on another day – that would just never happen normally.

This evening I had a sad email. My friend’s cat has had to be put to sleep. I felt quite upset when I read that… not sure why, as I only ever met the cat once! But she was a nice cat and spent that whole evening sitting on my lap. I remember that I wanted to photograph her in my friend’s arms, as she looked so content there, and thinking, “Oh, I can do it next time”… but now there won’t be a next time. Sniff! Grab yer cockles while ye may (or whatever the phrase is… I can’t remember), for if you don’t do the nice stuff at the time it is presented to you, you might never get another opportunity!

No comments: